20 Jan French Macarons Part Deux
Throughout the last year, French macarons have become one of my favorite treats. There’s something super satisfying about the wide variety of colors and flavors that they can be. During my time in France, I saw so many macarons that I couldn’t even begin to sample all of the flavors… but I think I may just give it my best effort!
For today’s entry in my blog, I’m going to showcase my attempt at experimenting with macarons. For my first macaron post, everything seemed to go absolutely swimmingly. Everywhere on the Internet had said that macarons could be quite challenging so I shouldn’t be disappointed if something goes wrong the first time around. I walked away feeling like an absolute champ! Only a few minor hiccups! Making macarons couldn’t possibly be THAT difficult, could it? Why yes… yes it can be that difficult.
For these macarons, I wanted to utilize some natural sources in order to achieve the color and flavors. I made a trip to Trader Joe’s and grabbed some freeze-dried fruits off the shelf (orange, blueberry, and raspberry) and then ground them to a pulp in my blender at home. What resulted was this super-fine fruity powder. The blueberry and raspberry blended really well while the orange had a little difficulty… It seemed to turn more into shards than powder and nobody likes eating shards of anything for dessert.
Then I made three batches of my macaron wafer mix and instead of adding artificial color and flavor, I dumped each of the fruit powders into one of the macaron batches.
After mixing, I noticed that the batter seemed to have a chunkier texture than the last time I made macarons but I figured it was too late to do anything about that now. I piped the macarons onto a sheet of parchment paper and set them out to let them form a shell. I waited for almost 2 hours and they still hadn’t formed their characteristic tacky top. I was in a little bit of a hurry so I went ahead and threw them into oven.
A piece of advice: never rush a French macaron… they don’t like that. Since my macarons had not developed their shell, they cracked during the baking and I was super bummed out. Oh well… I guess I’m not immune to the woes of the macaron after all.
I went ahead and made some lemon buttercream frosting for the raspberry and blueberry macarons and then some white chocolate ganache for the orange macarons.
I think they turned out well even if they were a little uglier than usual. They definitely tasted awesome!